Teen Driving Challenge
Next Class is Saturday, December 3, 2022 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
About the Class
The Apopka Police Department is committed to the safety of Apopka's youth and is pleased to offer the Teen Driver Challenge.
This 9-hour course is taught 8 AM to 5 PM and trains teen drivers how to prevent crashes through defensive driving techniques and evasive maneuvers. The program provides a mixture of classroom instruction and hands-on driver training at the Leroy F. Gilliam Training Center (Located at 321 E. Cleveland Street, Apopka, FL 32703).
Teens between the ages of 15 and 19 are eligible and must have a valid Learner's Permit or Florida Operators License and participants must provide their own car. The Apopka Police Department does not provide cars for this program.
The Teen Driver Challenge is a defensive driving program that covers the following topics and driving exercises:
|Classroom Topics||Driving Range Exercises|
|Vehicle Dynamics||Threshold, ABS, and Emergency Braking|
|Human Factors||Evasive Maneuvers|
|Drug & Alcohol Use||Forward and Reverse Serpentine|
|Night Driving||Figure 8|
|Dangers of Texting and Driving||Off Road Recovery|
|Aggressive Driving and Road Rage||Skid Control|
- Seats are available on a first come first serve basis, and class size is limited.
- Registration packet must be completed in full in order to participate in the driving course.
- Lunch will be provided. If a student has any food allergies they must provide their own lunch.
The Teen Driver Challenge registration can be filled out online. The following items will need to be submitted at time of registration:
Required Items Include:
- Photo copy of student's valid Driver's License
- Photo copy of registration of the vehicle used during the class
- Photo copy of proof of insurance
- The Teen Driver Challenge online registration.
If you have any questions or need further information, please speak to our TDC Point of Contact: Sergeant Jason Wiggins.
Students participate in a classroom session that will cover the following topics:
- Teen Crash Facts
- Knowing Your Vehicle
- Use Common "Senses" When Driving
- Belt Yourself, It Won't Hurt
- Vehicle Dynamics
- Safe Driving Can be Habit Forming
- Alcohol, the $8,000 Drink
- Aggressive Driving
- Driving Exercises
Students also participate in a driving class at the Driving Range in Apopka. Each student will practice the following exercises to develop defensive driving skills:
- Figure 8
- Threshold Braking
- Forward Serpentine
- Reverse Serpentine
- Off Road Recovery
- Skid Recovery